Your library card is FREE! You may use it at the Main Library and at CPL- Lyons Center for computer use. In addition, your card may be used at any RiverShare member library and at participating "Open Access" Iowa libraries.
Damaged, worn, and lost or stolen cards can be replaced for a $1 fee. If your library card is lost or stolen, immediately contact the library, so that unauthorized use of your card can be prevented. Required forms of ID are necessary for staff to access an account for a replacement card. Children 13 years old and under must have a parent or guardian present to receive a replacement card.
Change in Personal Information
Please contact the library when there is a change in your name, address, or phone number. To update your notification preference online, log into your account (your password is the last 4 digits of your phone number) and choose Contact Information and Preference.
Your Card is Your Responsibility
You are responsible for all materials checked out on your library card and for fines and charges accrued.
Who Can Get a Library Card?
Please see Circulation Policies: Borrowing Privileges - Eligibility to Borrow.
- All residents of the city of Clinton are eligible for a FREE Clinton Public Library card.
- Clinton property owners residing outside the city of Clinton-will need to provide a copy of your current Iowa property tax statement to receive your FREE card.
- Out of state residents pay an annual subscription fee of $50, which encompasses all members of the household.
- Children under the age of 14 must have a parent or legal guardian co-sign their card application. Parents or legal guardians are responsible for all overdues, fines, and bills accrued on a minor's library card.
If you are currently living in transitional housing, call the library for further information about getting a library card at (563) 242-8441.
How to Get a Library Card
- Please fill out a library card application at the front desk. The information on your application is confidential and is protected by Section 22.7(13) of the Code of Iowa and the library's Confidentiality of Records Policy.
- Valid ID: All applicants must provide a valid identification verifying their Clinton address. Adults may obtain a card by providing a valid ID that verifies their name and current street address. Children's applications must be co-signed by a parent or legal guardian showing valid ID. Many types of identification that include your current address are acceptable (along with Photo ID that verifies the name), including the following:
- Iowa Driver's License
- Iowa State ID
- Voter's Registration Card
- Imprinted checks
- Utility Bill
- Pre-printed lease agreement
- First-class mail in an envelope postmarked within the last 30 days
- Vehicle Registration Card
- Payroll Stub
Signing Up Online
Select HERE to register now.
Note: If your library requires a registration fee, you see an alert message. You can cancel your registration or continue. If you choose to continue, the registration fee is added to your new account when your registration is completed. If your library accepts online credit card payments, you can pay the fee online (go to My Account, Fines & Fees). Otherwise, you need to pay the fee at the library before you can check out items.
Most items may be renewed as long as no one else is waiting for them. The new due date is based on the date you are making the renewal, NOT on the original due date. Materials may be renewed in person, by phone or online.
To renew library materials, please have the following ready:
The library card number used to check out the materials
The title OR the barcode number from each item to be renewed.
To renew items online:
Log into your account, then click on Items Out. On the right side you will see how many renewals you have left for an item. On the left, click on the check boxes next to the titles you want to renew, then click on Renew Selected Items. You can also renew all of your items by clicking on Renew All Items.