Adopted September 1992; Last Revised February 2021.
Borrowing Privileges - Eligibility to Borrow
All residents of the city of Clinton are eligible for a FREE Clinton Public Library (CPL) card. Individuals issued a CPL card are eligible to borrow materials from the Clinton Public Library when the following conditions are met:
- No materials which are more than one month overdue on their card.
- No outstanding fines in excess of $5.00 have accrued to their card.
If an organization is interested in obtaining a library card, an official request must be made on the organization’s letterhead from the head of the organization specifying the person responsible for materials loaned. The organization will adhere to the library rules and policies including fines.
Clinton County Cards
Rural residents of Clinton County may register for a library card at any one of the 6 libraries in the County. These cards are good throughout the County and State of Iowa through the State of Iowa Libraries Online (SILO) Open Access Program. There are no service restrictions.
Non-Resident Fee-Based Cards and Visitors
- Non-residents who are not eligible for free cards may obtain a card for $50 per year.
- College students attending local colleges as either residents or commuters are eligible for Clinton Public Library Cards.
Identification to get a library card
Library cards can be issued with identification containing current address. Young children can be issued cards when accompanied by parent or guardian with proper identification. If your ID doesn't have your current address, please bring your ID with an item containing your current address:
- Utility bill (electric, gas, phone, cable TV)
- Car registration
- Cancelled letter addressed to your name at the address in question
- Bank statement or checkbook
Fines and Fees
The Clinton Public Library (CPL) has established, in addition to the table for lost or damaged items (listed below), the following schedule of fines for overdue materials as well as fees for other services provided by the CPL. The general rule is that fines do not exceed the cost of replacement (listed in the item record).
Children’s Material Exception
As of April 8th, 2019, all Juvenile Materials are fine free. Juvenile items are materials that are geared towards children 12 years or younger and are identified at CPL under “Juvenile”. Patrons are still responsible for any lost and/or unreturned items and will be subject to the billing process.
- Books/Audio-Books/Kits: $0.20 per day, not to exceed the cost of replacement listed in the item record
- Video/Music CDs: $0.50 per day, not to exceed the cost of replacement listed in the item record
An initial notice of overdue materials will go out to the patron 10 days after the due date of the item. Patrons with responsibility for material in any format which is more than 90 days overdue are also responsible for any and all collection and/or court costs incurred by the library in its efforts to secure the return of the material.
The library reserves the right to adjust the fee schedule as needed. Fees are not refundable once collected.
- Photocopy & Printers Fee: $0.15 per page for black and white; $0.35 for color. If enlargement or reduction is required by the patron, the “per page fee” applies to each step in that process. Enlargement and reduction is not an exact science and may take several pages.
- Microfilm Copy Fee: $0.25 per page.
- Service Fee: $1.00 service fee is attached to all accounts for which a mailed notice has been sent.
- Lost Library Cards Fee: $1.00 for each card. Patrons may have only one active card at a time. Note: This does not apply to patrons who may be providing a special service for other patrons or representing the library. The library will make a special registration to accommodate.
Length of Loans
The Clinton Public Library (CPL) circulates materials in a variety of formats including books, magazines, audio-books, kits, and video formats. These apply only to CPL materials and may not apply to other lending libraries. The following terms of loan are applicable as indicated:
|Audio Books||21 Days||Yes|
|Reference||Overnight, if allowed||No|
|Videos (all formats)||7 Days, Limit 10||No, Yes|
|Language Sets||60 Days or as specified||No|
|Equipment||Overnight or as specified||Yes|
|Vacation Loan||60 Days (4x/year)||No|
Lost and/or Damaged Materials
Materials borrowed via any mechanism are the responsibility of the library patron. Replacement cost (listed in the item record) is the responsibility of any patron who borrows and loses or damages any library material. We do not accept like items for replacement. In the case of children under the age of 18, it is the PARENTS RESPONSIBILITY to pay for lost or damaged items.
- Bindery repair: Actual Cost (minimum $14.00)
- Minor in-house repair (tape, glue, covers etc.): Actual Cost (minimum $3.00)
- Major in-house repair (CD, DVD, VIDEO and other special containers): Actual Cost (minimum $6.00)
Materials borrowed through interlibrary loan which are lost or damaged are charged to the patron according to the bill provided by the lending library.
Policy Reviewed, Revised & Scheduled for review by the Clinton Public Library Board of Trustees
|Adopted||Revised||Reviewed||Date of next review|
|Sept 1992||May 2005||Dec 1999||Dec 2022|
|May 2007||Sept 2002|
|May 2010||Jan 2003|
|July 2015||May 2007|
|Jan 2020||Dec 2019|