Notary Public Policy
Adopted August 2017; Last Revised February 2022.
Clinton Public Library provides a notary service at the main library location during most hours of service. There is a charge of $5 per visit. To inquire whether a notary is available, please call ahead to (563) 242-8441.
Please be aware of the following guidelines for notary service:
- Appointments are required. Please call to schedule.
- All signers must be present and have photo identification, such as a valid Driver's License.
- The document MUST NOT be signed ahead of time; it MUST be signed in front of the notary.
- A limit of five (5) notarization stamps per person per day.
- Clinton Public Library public notaries follow all regulations established by the Code of Iowa, CHAPTER 9B, NOTARIAL ACTS.
- A document is invalid if changes are made after the notarization.
For your information: A notary only verifies the signer's identity and that the signature was made willingly and freely.
Notarization does NOT:
- Prove a document to be true or accurate.
- Legalize or validate a document.
- Notarize I-9 forms.
- Prove a statement under oath/affirmation is true.
Public notaries are NOT legal professionals; please do not ask them legal questions or for legal advice.
Policy Reviewed, Revised & Scheduled for review by the Clinton Public Library Board of Trustees
|Adopted||Revised||Reviewed||Date of next review|
|Aug 2017||Nov 2021||Oct 2021||Oct 2024|